How Professionalism Can Help in a Negotiation
Writer and mediator Howard R. Marsee knows more than a thing or two about professionalism, and he is sharing in a big way this month. First, he has published an article titled "Reflections: Professionalism as a Tool of Negotiation" in the fall 2015 edition of The Professional, a publication of the Henry Latimer Center for Professionalism (please see Page 8).
On Monday (Sept. 21, 2015), Howard will follow up by presenting the latest in Upchurch Watson White & Max's CLE Webinar series. The program, "Negotiate This! Common Negotiating Mistakes and How to Avoid Them," asserts:
"Negotiation is persuasion,
- "Not combat
- "Not intimidation
- "Not bullying
- "Not badgering
- "Not shouting
- "Not insulting
- "Not sulking
"No one wants to make concessions to a jerk."
He and moderator A. Michelle Jernigan, a shareholder with the mediation group, will explore the traits of the skillful negotiator, the key elements of the "the deal," the importance of a draft agreement in a complex case and other aspects of negotiating an agreement as a professional.
Howard's article in The Professional is an ideal precursor to Monday's Webinar. "Above all, every great negotiator has,over the course of their practice, developed a reputation for integrity, honesty, candor, and fair dealing," he writes. "They know that their success or failure as a negotiator began long before they met their current client. They understand that their reputation is an integral cog in the machinery of negotiation -- in their ability to obtain the best results for their client."
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Popular tags on this blogADR | Alabama | Alabama mediator | Alternative Dispute Resolution | arbitration | arbitrator | attorney | CLE | E-Discovery | electronic discovery | Florida | Florida Bar | Florida mediation | Florida mediator | florida mediators | judge | lawyer | legal | Mediation | mediation in Florida | Mediator | mediators | Orlando Mediator | stay out of court | webinar |
Most Popular Articles
- April Y. Walker Becomes Full-Time Mediator With Upchurch Watson White & Max
- Mediator Richard Graham to Discuss His Role in Pulitzer Prize Winner's New Book
- UNCITRAL Convention on Enforcement of International Settlement Agreements and Amended Model Law on International Conciliation Take Another Step Forward
- Lawyer Professionalism as a Tool for Successful Negotiation
- Don't Bring a Knife to a Gunfight: Florida Case Law Update on Daubert and Other Expert Witness Pitfalls
- Meet Our Mediators: Marty Van Tassel
- Upchurch Watson White & Max Elevates Mediator Charles A. "Chuck" Mancuso to Shareholder
- Florida Mediator Carl Schwait Bestows Scholarship Associated With Haas Humanitarian Award