Two UWWM Mediators Speak at 24th Annual Dispute Resolution Conference
That afternoon, Howard spoke on "The Language of Mediation and Conflict Resolution." The workshop was designed to increase sensitivity to the subtleties and complexities of spoken interaction and their sometimes unintended effect on conflict resolution. "Language is an essential tool of conflict resolution," Howard said. "The mediator's management of spoken interaction can promote dispute resolution or drive a subconscious wedge between the parties." Through example and audience participation, this workshop also explored the areas of cultural metaphor and discourse analysis as they relate to conflict resolution.
The theme of the conference, which continues until Saturday, Aug. 13, at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes Orlando is "Dimensions in Diversity." The conference provides educational opportunities for mediators as well as continuing the DRC's goal of offering sessions on dispute resolution processes other than mediation. It focused on all forms of diversity: race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion and culture, to name a few. Sessions were offered on new and emerging processes.
Bookmark & Share
Be the first to comment on this post below!
Popular tags on this blogADR | Alabama | Alabama mediator | Alternative Dispute Resolution | arbitration | arbitrator | attorney | CLE | E-Discovery | electronic discovery | Florida | Florida Bar | Florida mediation | Florida mediator | florida mediators | judge | lawyer | legal | Mediation | mediation in Florida | Mediator | mediators | Orlando Mediator | stay out of court | webinar |
Most Popular Articles
- April Y. Walker Becomes Full-Time Mediator With Upchurch Watson White & Max
- Mediator Richard Graham to Discuss His Role in Pulitzer Prize Winner's New Book
- UNCITRAL Convention on Enforcement of International Settlement Agreements and Amended Model Law on International Conciliation Take Another Step Forward
- Lawyer Professionalism as a Tool for Successful Negotiation
- Don't Bring a Knife to a Gunfight: Florida Case Law Update on Daubert and Other Expert Witness Pitfalls
- Meet Our Mediators: Marty Van Tassel
- Florida Mediator Carl Schwait Bestows Scholarship Associated With Haas Humanitarian Award
- Upchurch Watson White & Max Elevates Mediator Charles A. "Chuck" Mancuso to Shareholder