Mediator/arbitrator A. Michelle Jernigan, a shareholder with Upchurch Watson White & Max, recently gave a presentation, "Should You Be Scared? What Labor & Employment Attorneys Must Know About Arbitration," sponsored by the
Labor & Employment Committee of the Orange County Bar Association.
She appeared at the OCBA Center in downtown Orlando for 1 hour and 40 minutes on May 19, 2016, allowing 30 attendees to claim 2.0 general Continuing Legal Education credits through The Florida Bar. The event was complimentary.
Michelle gave advice on how to take control of five possible fears attorneys might have regarding arbitration, which are:
- Uncertainty about applicable law
- Uncertainty about who the decision makers are in various contracts
- Finality of arbitration awards
- Possible costs associated with arbitration
- Possibility the arbitration agreement might be attacked
She described how labor and employment attorneys can make the arbitration agreement work for them.
Photo by Lawrence Kolin
Arbitrator A. Michelle Jernigan speaks at the OCBA Center in May.