During 40 years as a successful commercial trial attorney, Sam prosecuted and defended numerous claims and handled many appeals in state, federal and bankruptcy courts in Florida and other states. His practice emphasized attorney and accountant malpractice, business dissolutions and debtor-creditor workouts, as well as disputes involving contracts, real property, partner and shareholder disputes, and estate and trust disputes. In 1985, Sam secured through trial one of the largest contested improvement trust fund recoveries in Florida history, recovering $14.2 million for a class of 10,000 defrauded land buyers.
In 1994, Sam began mediating and, on retiring from trial practice, he devoted his career to helping individuals and businesses mediate their cases and to serving as a trial resolution judge, arbitrator and special master. He brings a wealth of trial lawyer skills and experience in having mediated some 4,500 federal and state court cases involving the broadest range of civil disputes to his mission of being a compassionate and focused listener to the frustrations, problems and goals of the 14,000 parties he has assisted (and learned from) over two decades. Sam dedicates all of his energy and ability to helping parties in mediation to reach their goal: RESOLUTION of their lawsuit disputes.
Prior to embarking on his law career, he served in the U.S. Army as a guided missile fire control officer for the Air Defense Command.
Sam lives in Fort Lauderdale with Arlene, his bride of 57 years, and, although he mediates anywhere in Florida his services are requested, he and his wife spend time locally with their children and eight grandchildren – when they are not mountain hiking in our national parks.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A. ~ University of Florida
Florida Blue Key Speakers Bureau
J.D. ~ University of Miami School of Law, magna cum laude, valedictorian
Associate Editor – University of Miami Law Quarterly
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Appellate Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Arbitrator
- Martindale Hubbell Rating ~ AV pre-eminent
Memberships, Publications and Community Service
- Fellow, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Author, “Admissions by Acquiescence”, Personal Injury Annual - 1961
- Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section, The Florida Bar
- Former member, board of trustees, University School at Nova University
- Former member, board of directors, Pediatric Care Center of Fort Lauderdale