Lawrence Kolin brings parties and their counsel together online or in person to settle difficult cases by mediating lawsuits in state, federal and appellate courts. He has successfully mediated thousands of matters, including multi-party and complex civil cases of all types, since 2001. Lawrence formerly served as a General Magistrate in the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida, presiding over hearings and bench trials. He is also experienced in conducting arbitrations as a qualified arbitrator since 2005. Lawrence is an AV Rated Preeminent™ Super Lawyer® who practiced law for 20 years as an advocate in diverse areas of civil trial work and was a partner in a statewide law firm. He’s acted as a full-time neutral over the past decade, devoting his energy entirely to advancing dispute resolution.
Active in local and state bar associations, Lawrence chaired the effort to modernize Florida Civil Procedure Rules to include E-Discovery. He is a noted speaker in legal seminars and webinars, teaching as faculty at the Advanced Judicial College, Bench Bar Conference, The Masters Conference for Legal Professionals, and lecturing at many colleges and law schools. He was featured as an Ask A Lawyer columnist for The Orlando Sentinel newspaper and frequently writes for legal publications such as the Practical Law Arbitration Series, Briefs Magazine, The Professional and ABA Just Resolutions E-News and is often quoted as an authority in The Florida Bar News. Lawrence has authored Orlando Mediator, which was recognized as an official ABA Journal "Blawg," since 2010. Lawrence was even voted a top blogger nationally for Legal News category by The Expert Institute, and Orlando Mediator was ranked as a Top Ten Dispute Resolution Blog by Feedspot. Additionally, he was interviewed about his insights into mediation by the Chief Judge on the groundbreaking Open Ninth official court podcast.
For his efforts on behalf of abused and neglected children, Lawrence was honored with The Florida Bar Legal Aid Public Service Award presented in conjunction with the prestigious Tobias Simon Pro Bono Award at The Supreme Court of Florida. He’s been counted among Florida Trend’s Legal Elite in Arbitration & Mediation, listed as one of Orlando Business Journal’s Most Influential Businessmen, selected as Mediator of the Month™ in Attorney at Law magazine and identified as a Top ADR Lawyer in Orlando Life magazine. Lawrence was named a Litigation Trailblazer and Pioneer™ by the National Law Journal for his innovative work in alternative dispute resolution practice. He founded the ADR Committee of the Orange County Bar Association; he was twice elected to the Executive Council of The Florida Bar ADR Section and is now an Emeritus Member.
Lawrence was raised in Central Florida, where he resides with his wife and two daughters. His family gives their time and talents to many local causes.
Professional Education and Qualifications
- J.D., University of Miami, 1994
- New York University, Certificate in Film, 1991
- B.A., Trinity College, 1991
- Supreme Court of Florida Certified Circuit-Civil Mediator
- Supreme Court of Florida Certified Appellate Mediator
- Florida Qualified / Approved Arbitrator
- American Health Lawyers Association Neutral Roster
- American Arbitration Association Panel Neutral
- Certified U.S. District Court Mediator, Middle District of Florida
Designations / Memberships
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated Superb “10” by AVVO
- Selected to Super Lawyers®
- Member: National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN)
- Member: The Florida Circuit-Civil Mediator Society
- Diplomate, The Florida Academy of Professional Mediators
- Executive Council, The Florida Bar ADR Section
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court - Northern,
Southern, Middle Districts of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Orange County Bar Association – Committees: Founding Chair - ADR Committee; Past Chair - Entertainment Law and Medical-Legal Committees; Member - Intellectual Property, Business Law, Technology, and Judicial Relations Committees; Literary Society