Marty began his mediation practice in 1996 and, by 1999, he was a full-time mediator with a practice involving a wide variety of complex and multi-party cases. Extensive trial and mediation experience give him the ability to work with all parties to achieve a satisfactory resolution for all concerned.
Most recently, Marty led the Mediation Center at Sirote & Permutt. He was previously a civil litigator who handled cases involving products liability, premises liability, professional liability, breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, negligence, insurance coverage claims and extra-contractual liability claims in such diverse areas as construction cases, cases involving environmental claims, cases for violation of civil rights or other statutory rights, occupational injury cases and worker's compensation.
As a litigator, he represented clients in all of Alabama's federal and state trial and appellate courts and tried cases as lead counsel in most of Alabama's 40 judicial circuits. He represented both plaintiffs and defendants in trials seeking damages for personal injury, property damage, economic loss and wrongful death, as well as for injunctive relief.
Marty served as Assistant Attorney General for the state of Alabama from 1972 to 1974.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.S. ~ University of Alabama, 1969
J.D. ~ University of Alabama School of Law, 1972
- Member of numerous panels of neutrals in both the state and federal courts of Alabama
- Qualified mediator with the Alabama Center for Dispute Resolution
- Alabama Alternative Dispute Resolution Foundation, trustee
- American College of Civil Trial Mediators, fellow
- University of Alabama School of Law, adjunct professor of Mediation Process and Practice
- Frequent speaker at local, Alabama and American Bar Association meetings on the topic of mediation
Selected to Super Lawyers 2008 - 2020