Trilingual: Portuguese and Spanish
After more than 30 years of litigation and trial practice, Brenda decided to dedicate her full time efforts to helping others reach amicable resolutions to their litigation and pre-suit issues. Brenda believes the best mediators have a breadth of experience, and this experience and knowledge helps each side understand the strengths and weakness of a client’s position.
Brenda was born in Kirksville, Missouri, but considers herself a native Floridian, as she has lived in Florida for most of her life. Brenda’s father was a family physician. Her mother was born and raised in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Brenda’s first language was Portuguese.
After obtaining her law degree, Brenda worked for a large corporate bank in South Florida. She moved to Orlando to start her family, and it was there she found her passion in the courtroom. Brenda gained her litigation and trial experience in state and federal courts while a young associate working with the late Norman Hull (of Russell and Hull, P.A.) and with the late O.B. McEwan (of Sanders, McEwan, Martinez, Luff and Dukes). Brenda was of counsel to Killgore, Pearlman, Stamp, Ornstein and Squires, P.A. for nearly 14 years, a partner with Alvarez, Winthrop, Thompson and Storey, P.A. and the highest level trial attorney for the Construction Defect Division of Nationwide Insurance in Orlando.
Brenda has been listed by Orlando Home and Leisure Publication as “Top Lawyer” (2011-2015).
Brenda speaks conversational Portuguese and Spanish.
Professional Education and Qualifications
Bachelor of Arts ~ University of Miami, Coral Gables, Fla., 1989. Major: Philosophy. Minor: Political Science. Recipient of the Anne Popiel Scholarship for Academic Excellence.
Juris Doctor ~ University of Miami School of Law, 1989. Recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Legal Ethics.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2011-2019
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Appellate Mediator
- Certified U.S. District Court Mediator, Middle District of Florida
- Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator
- Adjunct professor at Rollins College (Legal Studies), 1994-1995
Membership, Professional and Civic Associations
- The Florida Bar, 1989
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, 1990
- United States Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 1993
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1993
- Orange County Bar Association (Co-chair of Construction Litigation Section, 2018-2020, CLE guest speaker for Young Lawyers Section)
- Central Florida Association for Women Lawyers