A native of Miami, Florida, April Y. Walker is a graduate of Duke University and University of Florida Levin College of Law. April began her litigation career in 1997 at Carlton Fields in Tampa. In 1998, April left the firm to clerk for U.S. District Judge Stephan P. Mickle in the Northern District of Florida. Years later, in 2008, April returned to Carlton Fields in Orlando where she worked as an associate litigation attorney until she was elected to shareholder in 2015.
While she thoroughly enjoyed working with clients to develop and implement litigation strategies in state and federal court matters, Ms. Walker determined to focus her work on helping others bring an end to conflict. In 2018, Ms. Walker joined UWWM, bringing to her ADR practice significant litigation experience representing corporate clients in a wide array of litigation matters and exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
Education and Professional Qualifications
J.D., University of Florida College of Law, 1997
A.B., Duke University, 1993
Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit (Civil) Mediator
Certified U.S. District Court Mediator, Middle District of Florida
Florida Supreme Court Certified Appellate Mediator
Harvard University Law School’s Program on Negotiation Executive Education, Mediating Disputes, October 2018
Trained in Elder Law & Shared Family Decision-Making Mediation
Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator
The Florida Bar
U.S. District Courts, Northern and Middle Districts of Florida
Professional Recognition, Activities, Community Involvement
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite 2018, Commercial Litigation
- Adjunct Faculty, Florida A&M University College of Law (2018-2019)
- Florida Bar: Florida Bar Standing Committee on Federal Court Practice (2013-2019); Co-Vice Chair, Pro Bono Subcommittee (2018-2019); Co-Vice Chair, Federal Rules Subcommittee (2016-2018). Business Law Section Member (2012-2017)
- Past Director. The Orlando Repertory Theatre, Orlando, FL.
- Past Director and Board Chair. “Negro Spiritual” Scholarship Foundation, Inc., Orlando, FL.
Leadership Orlando, Class 91 (2016)
- Presenter, “Design Thinking Applied to Mediation: Taking Advantage of the Informal and Non-Adversarial Nature of the Mediation Process,” UWWM CLE series, 2019
- Moderator, “Lawyer Professionalism as a Tool for Successful Negotiation,” UWWM CLE series, 2018
- Speaker, “Alternative Dispute Resolution: Navigating the Options With Your Clients,” Florida Institute of CPAs, Annual Legal Updates Program (2015)