Ricardo J. Cata
Ricardo Cata practiced law in South Florida for 38 years; for the last 25 years of his litigation career, he was at the Miami office of national law firm Wilson Elser, becoming a partner there in 1992. From 2007 to 2013, Ricardo was also the regional managing partner of that office. Ricardo has been a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator since 2013. He is certified to mediate civil cases by the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida as of 2015.
Ricardo’s legal practice focused on various areas of liability. He represented hotels, resorts and tour operators from Latin America in litigation filed in Florida’s circuit and federal courts, obtaining several dismissals on the basis of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction. Ricardo also handled lawsuits representing domestic and international manufacturers of products over allegations of design and/or manufacturing defects. Ricardo also represented U.S. and Latin American clients in commercial disputes.
He also represented clients in cases involving allegations of design and construction defects, negligent inspection claims, and delay claims. He also defended medical doctors and chiropractors in professional liability lawsuits. During his practice he participated in many mediations.
A native of Cuba, Ricardo is bilingual in Spanish and English, has an understanding of the culture and business environment in Latin America, and has traveled widely in that region. Ricardo is able to mediate in the Spanish language.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A. ~ Long Island University, 1972, summa cum laude
J.D. ~ St. John’s University School of Law, 1975
M.A. ~ University of Miami Graduate School of International Studies
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator, Circuit Civil, 2013
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR)’s Advanced Commercial Mediation Training, 2013
- American Arbitration Association’s Essential Mediation Skills for the New Mediator, 2013
- ABA, Section of Dispute Resolution’s Advanced Mediation Training, 2013
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution
- Miami International Arbitration Society, founding member, international arbitration and mediation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution and International Law Sections, The Florida Bar
- Hispanic National Bar Association