Ricardo J. Cata
Mediator and Arbitrator
Ricardo Cata practiced law as a civil litigator and trial lawyer in South Florida for 38 years. His mediation practice focuses on construction and design defects; commercial, franchise and contractual disputes; trademark infringement; cross-border disputes (in litigation or arbitration); aviation and maritime claims; general liability, resort, product, and premises liability; medical malpractice and wrongful death.
Ricardo can mediate and has mediated in the Spanish language. He is certified to mediate civil cases by the U.S. District Court, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Mediator Panel, a Florida Supreme Court Approved Arbitrator and a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Neutrals and the ICDR Cruise Line and Seafarer Arbitrator Panel (CL & SAP). Ricardo has served as arbitrator in AAA commercial disputes.
During his legal practice, Ricardo represented resorts and tour operators from Latin America in Florida’s circuit and federal courts, obtaining dismissals on forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction. Ricardo also represented domestic and international manufacturers of products on claims of design and/or manufacturing defects, and represented U.S. and Latin American clients in commercial and contractual disputes. He also represented clients in claims of design and construction defects, wrongful death suits, franchise litigation, maritime disputes, and medical and chiropractic malpractice suits.
Ricardo is a native of Cuba and has traveled extensively throughout Latin America. He understands the region’s cultural, legal and business environments.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A. ~ Long Island University, 1972, summa cum laude
J.D. ~ St. John’s University School of Law, 1975
M.A. ~ University of Miami Graduate School of International Studies
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- American Arbitration Association Mediator Panel and Roster of Neutrals
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR)’s Advanced Commercial Mediation Training, 2013
- ABA, Section of Dispute Resolution’s Advanced Mediation Training, 2013
- Florida Supreme Court Approved Arbitrator, 2015
- Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators, 2015
- CIArb’s Introduction to International Arbitration, 2015
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association: Sections of Dispute Resolution and International Law
- Miami International Arbitration Society, founding member, international arbitration and mediation
- The Florida Bar: Alternative Dispute Resolution and International Law Sections
- AAA Mediator, listed on mediation.org
- Chair, Mediation Committee, Florida Bar’s International Law Section, 2015
- AAA Roster of Neutrals
- ICDR Cruise Line and Seafarer Arbitrator Panel (CL & SAP)