Ricardo J. Cata
Ricardo Cata has practiced law in South Florida for 38 years; for the past 25 years, he has been at the Miami office of national law firm Wilson Elser, becoming a partner there in 1992. From 2007 to 2013, Ricardo was also the Regional Managing Partner of that office.
Ricardo’s legal practice has focused on various areas of liability. He has represented hotels, resorts and tour operators from Latin America in litigation filed in Florida’s Circuit and Federal Courts, obtaining several dismissals on the basis of forum non conveniens or lack of personal jurisdiction. Ricardo also has regularly handled lawsuits in Florida, representing manufacturers of products made internationally and sold in the U.S., in which allegations of design and/or manufacturing defects – as well as insufficient or inadequate warnings – were made.
He also has represented clients in cases involving allegations of design and construction defects, negligent inspection claims, and delay claims. Ricardo has been involved in hundreds of mediations, and has significant trial experience.
A native of Cuba, Ricardo is bilingual in Spanish and English and has an understanding of the culture and business environment in Latin America. He has served as the point person at Wilson Elser, managing the defense for a number of insurance and reinsurance clients in the region, in litigation throughout the United States.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A. ~ Long Island University, 1972, summa cum laude
J.D. ~ St. John’s University School of Law, 1975
M.A. ~ University of Miami Graduate School of International Studies
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Advanced Commercial Mediation Training, 2013
- American Arbitration Association, Essential Mediation Skills for the New Mediator, certificate of completion, Los Angeles, 2013
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, 2013
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, Professional Education and Qualifications, 2013
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Section of Dispute Resolution
- Miami International Arbitration Society, founding member, 2008-2011, international arbitration and mediation