Lawrence Kolin brings parties and their counsel together to settle difficult cases by mediating lawsuits of multi-party, complex civil litigation in state, federal and appellate courts. He has mediated for the past 16 years. Lawrence also served as a General Magistrate in the Ninth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida, presiding over hearings and bench trials. He is also experienced in conducting arbitration. Lawrence practiced law for 20 years as an advocate in diverse areas of civil trial work and was a partner in a statewide law firm.
Active in local and state bar associations, Lawrence chaired the effort to modernize Florida Civil Procedure Rules to include E-Discovery. He is a noted speaker, teaching as faculty at the Advanced Judicial College, Bench Bar conference, and The Masters Conference for Legal Professionals. He frequently writes for legal publications, such as the Orange County Bar Association Briefs, and is author of the officially listed ABA Journal "Blawg" Orlando Mediator (www.abajournal.com/blawg/Orlando_Mediator).
Lawrence, the 2002 recipient of The Florida Bar Legal Aid Public Service Award presented in conjunction with the prestigious Tobias Simon Pro Bono Award, was recognized among fewer than 2 percent of active bar members in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite in Arbitration & Mediation in 2010, listed as one of Orlando Business Journal’s Most Influential Businessmen in 2011, selected as Mediator of the Month™ in Attorney at Law magazine in 2012 and identified as a Top ADR Lawyer for 2013 in Orlando Life magazine. In 2014, he was elected to the Executive Council of The Florida Bar ADR Section (www.fladr.org) and in 2015, he was named a Litigation Trailblazer and Pioneer™ by the National Law Journal for his innovative work in alternative dispute resolution practice. Lawrence was recently voted a top blogger nationally in "The 2016 Best Legal Blog Contest" for the Legal News category by The Expert Institute.
Lawrence was raised in Central Florida where he resides with his wife and two daughters. His family gives their time and talents to many local causes.
Professional Education and Qualifications
- J.D., University of Miami, 1994
- New York University, Certificate in Film, 1991
- B.A., Trinity College, 1991
- Supreme Court of Florida Certified Circuit-Civil Mediator
- Supreme Court of Florida Certified Appellate Mediator
- Florida Qualified / Approved Arbitrator
- American Health Lawyers Association Neutral Roster
- American Arbitration Association Panel Neutral
- Certified U.S. District Court Mediator, Middle District of Florida
Designations / Memberships
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Rated Superb “10” by AVVO
- Member: National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (NADN)
- Member: The Florida Circuit-Civil Mediator Society
- Diplomate, The Florida Academy of Professional Mediators
- Executive Council, The Florida Bar ADR Section
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court - Northern,
Southern, Middle Districts of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Orange County Bar Association – Committees: Founding Chair - ADR Committee; Past Chair - Entertainment Law and Medical-Legal Committees; Member - Intellectual Property, Business Law, Technology, and Judicial Relations Committees; Literary Society