Carl Schwait is a North Central Florida mediator, businessperson, educator, Florida Bar leader and former public servant. Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell and named to Florida’s Super Lawyers® for the last nine years, he has been a member of The Bar for over 39 years.
As a mediator, Carl builds on his business and legal expertise. Before his recent retirement, he served as senior and managing partner for Dell Graham, P.A. (Gainesville), directing 12 select attorneys with extensive trial experience.
As an educator, he continues to teach and mentor future lawyers in the trial skills program at the University of Florida Levin College of Law, responsible for the lecture portion of both the Trial and Pretrial Practice courses as an adjunct professor. He is a frequent guest lecturer at the law school and Bar events on mediation, civil trial law and professionalism/ethics.
He is currently serving his sixth term as the only Eighth Judicial Circuit representative to The Florida Bar Board of Governors and his third year on the board’s executive committee. A highlight of his longtime service to The Bar was the 2011 President’s Award of Merit for chairing the committee that rewrote the current state lawyer advertising rules submitted to the Florida Supreme Court that year. He is serving his fifth year as chair of the Board of Governors Committee on Professionalism and Advertising and has twice co-chaired the Board’s largest committee, which oversees disciplinary review. In 2015, Carl represented The Florida Bar before the state Supreme Court on the issue of the rules concerning for-profit lawyer referral services, and he received an Eighth Judicial Circuit honor for contributions to The Bar. In 2016, The Bar’s General Practice, Solo and Small Firm Section presented him with the Tradition of Excellence Award.
Finally, as a public servant, Carl served two terms as a South Miami city commissioner from 1984 to 1990 and continues to be involved in community service in Gainesville.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A. ~ University of Rochester (New York), psychology, with honors, 1972
J.D. ~ University of Miami, 1976
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer (1992 to May 31, 2016)
- National Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney through National Board of Trial Advocacy (January 11, 2010 to January 11, 2016)
- The Florida Bar, 1976
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- Florida Supreme Court’s 21-member Work Group on Standards for Jury Panel Sizes
- Florida Bar: Ongoing Board of Governors activities; 14-member Special Committee on Lawyer Referral Services (co-chaired personal injury subcommittee); Vision 2016 select committee, legal education section; Trial Lawyers Section
- Eighth Judicial Circuit Bar Association (president 2003-2004)
- Gerald T. Bennett Inn of Court at UF’s Levin College of Law (founder, former president)