Alvin Capp is a mediator, arbitrator, umpire and special master with a wide and deep background in both civil litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He began his mediation career in 1987 and has limited his practice to ADR since 2002. He has served in more than 7,000 cases in all areas of federal and state civil matters.
He received his Bachelor of Arts and J.D. degrees from George Washington University and served as a White House intern for President John F. Kennedy during his studies. He also successfully completed the Harvard Negotiation Project.
Although Alvin was born in St. Louis, Mo., he grew up in South Florida and graduated from Coral Gables High School. He has been married to Gail for more than 52 years. They have two children and four grandchildren. He served in the U.S. Army Reserve for eight years.
Professional Education and Qualifications
B.A ~ George Washington University, 1961, cum laude
J.D. ~ George Washington University, 1964, cum laude
- Former City Prosecutor, Plantation, Fla.
- Florida Supreme Court Dispute Resolution Center Approved Mediation Trainer Specialist
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator-Circuit Civil and Foreclosure.
- Certified Mediator, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Martindale Hubble “AV-Preeminent” rated for more than 25 years
- Fellow, The American College of Civil Trial Mediators
- Frequent presenter and panelist at Florida Dispute Resolution Center annual conferences
- Lecturer ~ Florida Mediation Training Group
Memberships, Professional and Civic Associations
- The Florida Bar ADR Section
- 17th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, past member and chair
- Broward County Bar Association ADR Section, past chair
- Association of Broward County Mediators and Arbitrators, past president
- Temple Emanu-El and Soref Jewish Community Center, Fort Lauderdale, past president
- Greater Fort Lauderdale Jewish Federation, former board member serving over 10 years
- Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Council, past vice president
- Broward County Marine Advisory Board, past member