Although known statewide for his work as a defense attorney, Ben Newman begins his full-time dispute resolution practice with considerable experience as a federal- and state-certified mediator and a Florida Supreme Court-qualified arbitrator. He is also known for relationship-building skills that serve him well in mediation conferences. Ben is particularly knowledgeable in the practice areas of medical malpractice, nursing home litigation, insurance defense, and product liability, and other matters involving issues of catastrophic injury or wrongful death.
His presentations and seminars on a variety of liability and risk management issues have been much in demand by physicians, hospital staffs, health care administrators and insurance professionals. His familiarity with the substance and nuances of most medical specialties drew a large clientele, including nationally renowned physicians and premier teaching hospitals. Ben has represented dentists, nurses, paramedics, podiatrists, radiologists, pathologists, counselors, social workers and other members of the allied health professions in addition to managed care organizations and privately run emergency rooms.
Catastrophic transportation liability is another area of Ben’s broad experience. He has represented small and medium sized businesses, Fortune 500 companies, and local and state government agencies in such matters.
Ben’s litigation practice spanned 25 years and almost every region of Florida, from the Panhandle to the Keys, before joining the mediation firm of Upchurch Watson White & Max. Most recently, Ben was a partner with one of the largest and most well-known litigation firms in the country. As an attorney who has tried high-stakes, high-dollar cases throughout Florida, Ben brings a unique perspective to alternative dispute resolution, and works tirelessly with attorneys and their clients to achieve a successful resolution in mediations and arbitration proceedings.
Professional Education and Qualifications
J.D. ~ University of Miami, 1994
B.A. ~ American University, 1989
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Florida Supreme Court Qualified Arbitrator
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Certified Civil Mediator
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent™
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
Professional and Community Involvement
- Florida Federal Judicial Nominating Commission, 2011−present
- Foundation for Seminole State College of Florida, Board of Directors (2013 Chairman’s Award)
- Seminole County Sheriff’s Office, Civil Service Board, chair, 2013−present
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Central Florida Chapter, Founding Board Member
- Leadership Seminole, Class 20