Theodore Babbitt graduated from the University of Florida with a B.A. with honors in 1963 and received his J.D. from the University of Florida in 1965. He joined the U.S. Marine Corps out of high school at age 17 and still managed to be sworn in as an attorney at the age of 23 in August 1965.
He was invited to join the Inner Circle of Advocates as its youngest member in 1975 after having tried to a jury verdict over fifty cases as lead counsel in the first ten years of his practice. He obtained the first jury verdict in excess of $1 million in Palm Beach County in 1975 and the first verdict for a plaintiff in a medical malpractice case in Palm Beach County in 1970.
He is still a member of the Inner Circle (limited to 100 lawyers nationally), the American College of Trial Lawyers (limited to 2 percent of attorneys geographically) and the International Trial Lawyers (limited to 500 lawyers internationally).
He is a lifetime member of the American Mensa Society (limited to top 2 percent based on monitored IQ testing).
He has held every office in the Palm Beach County Bar Association including President.
He is a licensed commercial pilot and flight instructor with over 4,500 hours logged as a pilot in command.
He continues the full time practice of law in Palm Beach County representing individuals in serious and complex personal injury, wrongful death and commercial cases including general liability, medical malpractice, product liability, drug and medical device litigation, class actions, stock fraud and manipulation, children’s rights and commercial disputes.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
B.A. ~ University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1963, with honors
J.D. ~ University of Florida Levin College of Law, 1965
Pending: Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- The Florida Bar:
- Civil Procedure Rules Committee (Chairman)
- Medical Mediation Rules Subcommittee
- Medical Malpractice Rules Subcommittee
- Form Interrogatories Subcommittee
- Civil Trial Certification Law Committee (Chairman)
- Civil Trial Certification Examination Committee
- Deposition Conduct Committee
- Rules of Judicial Administration Committee
- Florida Supreme Court appointments:
- Committee on Appointment and Assignment of Senior Judges
- Task Force on Management of Cases Involving Complex Litigation
- Work Group on Standards for Jury Panel Sizes
- Governor’s Task Force on Medical Malpractice (appointed by Gov. Bob Graham)