Mediators Bob Cole and Michelle Jernigan Discuss Professionalism for TPC@TPC
UWWM mediators A. Michelle Jernigan and Robert A. Cole were among the panelists when the Bench and Bar Professionalism Committee and The Jacksonville Bar Association presented The Professionalism Conference for the second year at the TPC Sawgrass golf course on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. The event, affectionately known as TPC@TPC, "combines a premier professionalism seminar with an exciting networking event during The Players Championship."
Attendees received 4.0 hours of Continuing Legal Education credits (including 4.0 ethics hours and 1.0 technology hour -- newly required by the rules regulating The Florida Bar), plus unlimited access to the Championship Club overlooking the 16th fairway after the conference ended.
Bob and Michelle covered the topic of professionalism in in mediation and settlement, along with fellow panel members Terry Schmidt and Ned Price. They discussed "Florida ethics rules, mediation rules of ethics and conduct as applied in the context of mediation, confidentiality and exceptions outlined in Florida Statute 44.405, mediators' responsibility for outcome fairness, conflicting standards for lawyers acting as mediators, a thorough intake process and the do’s and don’ts as a reflection on years of mediation experience, " said Michael Bateh of the JBA Board of Governors. Judge Gary Flower moderated for the mediator panel.
Other topics were professionalism in appeals, professionalism for corporate and in-house counsel and professionalism with technology.
Bookmark & Share
Most Popular Articles
- Register for OCBA Arbitration Seminar with Lawrence Kolin by March 28
- UWWM Mediators Discuss Importance of Certification for Florida Bar News
- Effective Telephone Negotiations: Before, During & After Mediation
- How to Maximize the Use of Your Mediator
- Leaving Law Firms and Taking Clients: Florida Emphasis and National Perspective
- Developing and Enforcing Good Faith Standards for Civil Trial Mediations
- Two UWWM Mediators to Speak at Orange County Bar Association Seminar Feb. 16
- Meet Our Mediators: Shelley Leinicke